To read the Report on Women’s Participation in Politics, click here.
Background to the publication of the Report:
Oireachtas Joint Committee on Justice, Equality, Law Reform and Women’s Rights
- April 2009 - the Oireachtas Joint Committee on Justice, Equality, Law Reform and Women’s Rights appointed a sub-committee on women’s participation in politics
- Senator Ivana Bacik was appointed Rapporteur to this Sub-Committee on Women’s Participation in Politics.
- The sub-Committee’s main objective was to examine the challenges facing women who wish to pursue a career in politics at local, national and European levels.
- With this aim in mind the sub-Committee set about its task by inviting former female politicians to make a presentation before the sub-Committee detailing their personal experiences before, during and after their time in politics.
- The sub-Committee also heard evidence from leading academic, Professor Yvonne Galligan who has carried out a number of detailed studies on the role of women in politics.
- The resultant report was published in October 2009, with unanimous support for its findings and recommendations.
To read the report in full, please click on the following link: https://data.oireachtas.ie/ie/oireachtas/committee/dail/32/joint_committee_on_justice_and_equality/reports/2009/2009-11-05_women-s-participation-in-politics_en.pdf
To read my Statement, delivered during the discussion of the report in the Seanad on the 27th April 2010, click on the following link: Women’s Participation in Politics: Statements